When you talk of affiliate marketing , Jumia affiliate program automatically comes to mind. That is of course if you have been in the affiliate marketing business for some time.
It might not be the first one but it is definitely one of a kind. The program is however not as well embraced in Kenya as it is in Nigeria where Jumia originated.
Are you one of those affiliate marketers seeking to try the Jumia affiliate program? Well, this is just the article for you. In this Jumia affiliate tutorial, I will be explaining in details but in easy to follow steps how you can set up a Jumia affiliate account and starting earning good commissions.
The best part is, you can implement the strategies I will be revealing right now!
Jumia is Africa’s fastest growing online shopping retailer. It was founded in Nigeria in 2012 and has since expanded to over 20 countries, including Kenya, Ghana, Cameroon, Egypt, Ivory Coast and Cameroon.
Jumia Kenya launched its affiliate program on 30th January 2015 to allow social media users and blog/website owners to make money by promoting their products. Since then, many affiliate marketers have signed up for the program and some are already earning commissions.
According to Pariza Firozi, the Managing Director of Jumia Kenya, “The affiliate program will provide a remarkable and innovative way to market online traffic in a complete automated system that will ensure accountability.”
I like to refer to Jumia as the Amazon of Africa. The company has grown into a giant online retailer especially here in Kenya and acquired quite a reputation for itself.
Why You Should Join the Jumia Affiliate Program
Before you sign up for the program, perhaps it would be prudent to understand what you are getting yourself into. Here are a few reasons why the Jumia Affiliate Program in Kenya Could be good for you.
5 Reasons to Join the Jumia Affiliate Program
- There is a wide range of products to promote so you will not miss out on your category.
- Jumia Kenya allows you to receive payments through M-pesa, Kenya’s most popular mobile money transfer platform. This is very convenient for Kenyans.
- You get a 30 day cookie. This means than once a customer follows your link, you can still receive payments even if they make purchases after 30 days.
- You earn up to 11% in commission.
- You can promote products anywhere; on your blog, website, facebook, twitter or Google+. Any platform that allows you to share affiliate links without appearing spammy is good to go.
How you earn with the Jumia Affiliate Program
You are paid a certain percentage in commissions every time a customer purchases a product using your affiliate link. Every product category has different commissions.
Here are the commission models for different product categories. These commission models are up to date and specific to Jumia Kenya affiliate Program.
Jumia Commission Models
|Automotive & Motorcycles||8%|
|Beauty and Perfumes||8%|
|Books & Stationery||8%|
|Cameras & Accessories||5%|
|Events & tickets||4%|
|Games & Consoles||4%|
|Kids & Babies||7%|
|Sports & Fitness||10%|
|Tablets & Accessories||4%|
|Tvs, Audio and Video||4%|
As you can see from the above commission models, different product categories will earn you different commissions. It is up to you to decide which category of products you want to promote. Just do not try to promote everything. That is a sure fire way to fail as an affiliate marketer.
Choose your category carefully and focus on promoting it. The amount of money you will make depends on a number of things. These include;
- The amount of traffic you receive in your blog or website. If you are using social media, this will depend on how many followers you have.
- Commission model specific to the products you are promoting. As you have seen above, some product categories have higher commission rates than others.
- Product category- Some products may have high commissions but are not popular with customers. That is, not very many people buy them. Some however may have lower commissions but make more sales hence making you more commissions. One of the advice I give affiliate marketers and one that you will get from any other expert, is to start by promoting low priced products. This way, you will be able to register more sales and earn some commission. Once you have build a brand and reputation for your blog and have horned your marketing skills, you can then start promoting high priced products
Before you sign up, make sure that you have a website/blog or any of the social media accounts; facebook, twitter or Google+.
You should also have a functional bank account number or M-pesa number if you prefer receiving payments through M-pesa.
If you already have the above things, check the post below on how to properly register for the Jumia affiliate program in Kenya. It is the most detailed guide you will ever find on the web.
After signing up, you are ready to start earning.
You might need to wait for some time for your submission to be approved. After approval, you will now need to start generating affiliate links or banners and share on your blog or social media.
But before that, you need to update your payment details so that you can receive payment.
How To Update Your Payment Details
- On your affiliate dashboard, click on Payment then Payment Details.
- Choose Country as Kenya.
- For the payment method you can either choose M-PESA or Bank Transfer.
- Finally provide an M-PESA number or Bank Account Number.
- Click on SAVE INFORMATION.
How to Advertise Jumia Products
Jumia provides you with two advertising tools; Links and banners. Deciding which one is good for you depends on your own preferences. But if you are undecided, let me break it down for so that you will be able to decide which method will make you more commissions.
HOW TO GENERATE AN ADVERTISING BANNER ON THE JUMIA AFFILIATE PROGRAM
- On you affiliate dashboard, click on Advertising. It is usually located on a menu on the sidebar.
- Click on Banners.
- Choose your advertising offer, that is, the Country
- You will be presented with boxes containing different product categories.
- Choose your product category, for example Mobile Deals or Home and Living
- You will be given different banner sizes. For example 160×160, 300×250 or 728×90. Choose your preffered banner size. Usually this depends on where you want to place the banner on your blog.
- A banner preview will appear. Copy and paste the banner code to where you want it t appearon your blog.
How To Place Jumia Affiliate Banner On WordPress
- After copying the banner code, Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Hover on Appearance then choose widget.
- Paste the banner code.
How To Place Jumi Affiliate Banner On Blogger
- After Loging in to your Blogger Dashboard, Click on Layout.
- Next, click on Add widget where you want the widget to appear on your blog.
- Paste the affliate banner code and click on Save. Refresh your blog to see if the banner has appeared.
How To Generate An Advertising Link
- Click on Advertiisng and then Link Builder.
- If you need to link to a specific product, you will need to go to the main Jumia Kenya website. Search for you product, right click on it and then copy image link.
- Head back to your affiliate dashboard and paste the url on PAGE URL field.
- Enter a SUBID. This is not necessary but it helps you track your sales. Specifically, it helps you know where a cutomer who purchased a product using your link came from. For example if you want to advertise on Facebook, you can enter the SUBID as ‘facebook’. You need to enter only one SUBID, unless otherwise.
- Copy the FINAL URL and paste it on your blog/website.
- If you are going to use the link on social media where you cannot provide an anchor text, you might need to shorten the URL using any of the link shortening services online. I usually use bitly.com.
This will make the link trustworthy and not appear spammy.
Tips To Help You Earn Commissions With Jumia Affiliate Program
Simply pasting the banner code or link text on your blog does not mean that you ready to go. You need to actively promote your link to your fans so you can earn clicks to the affiliate site, in this case, Jumia Kenya.
You should, however, take caution not be too aggressive with your promotion. People usually take over-promoted links as spam.
Do not for example, inbox people on social media asking them to make purchases using your link. I did this once and the result was disastrous. Smart marketing will naturally attract customers to your site without you having to force them.
You should also consider starting your own affiliate website like SokoBest. You are more likely to be an authority and gain trust this way. People will trust you and buy the products you buy.
1. Do product reviews. This will portray you as an expert and therefore build trust with your readers. Make sure your reviews are honest and not misleading to the reader. This way people will trust products you promote and you will tremendously increase conversions.
2. Product comparison. Online shoppers like to settle for products that are cheap but of good quality. The problem is that most of them do not take upon themselves to analyze the products because well, it can be a frustrating job. If you decide to hep them solve this problem they will be grateful and perhaps use your affiliate links to make purchases.
There you are. I hope this article was helpful. If you still need more information on affiliate marketing, feel free to check any of the articles.
All the best.